Our little office has been buzzing recently with the news of a new team member coming on board. After an exhaustive search, we finally unearthed the rare gem we were looking for. Anticipating his arrival yesterday was like the first day of school. We could hardly sleep the night before, woke up before our alarms brimming with excitement, put on our best outfit to make a positive first impression, and arrived early to get a good seat to watch the action unfold. Yes, the class of Dethe Elza, Senior Developer at Eventsage is now in session. It will be a good one! Here’s what we’ll be learning:
- Lessons and Best Practices from Top Internet Companies – he used to work at Mozilla Corporation, Mozilla Foundation and Lucent Technologies after all.
- Start-up Bootstrapping to Success -Dethe was the first employee at Enfolding Systems which was later bought by Blast Radius and then by Just Systems as part of an acquisition deal valued at $2.35 million!
- Mentorship 101 – he supports up-and-coming developers and makes his mark on the future of the web development industry by mentoring computer science students through the Undergraduate Capstone Open Source Program (UCOSP) and Ladies Learning Code and Software Carpentry workshops.
- Community building – he’s the founder of Waterbear, an online community, curriculum and toolkit that helps beginner programmers, kids, artists, teachers or anyone for that matter, learn a visual language to write code for web-based projects.
- Leadership – as our Senior Developer, Dethe is responsible for guiding our development team so his experience as an Instructor for UBC’s Continuing Studies program, Ohio University’s Continuing Education Studies program, and Emily Carr’s design program make him the perfect team leader.