Finding a new team member who checks all the boxes can be a difficult task for any organization and likewise finding a role and corporate culture that aligns with an individual’s goals and preferences is equally challenging. In a lean startup environment like Eventsage, it’s critical to find the perfect candidate who can hit the ground running and make a meaningful contribution straight out of the gates. We needed a fiercely driven, enthusiastic and skilled developer with a passion for front-end design and back-end coding and a strong desire to work in a start-up environment. Yes, we know, those shoes sound impossible to fill but alas, we found our missing puzzle piece! We are beyond excited to welcome Holly Peck, our new software developer to the Eventsage family.
A Vancouver native and Princeton graduate, Holly started her career working in finance before diving head first into the world of technology. In a weird turn of events, it was actually her role as Sales Coordinator at a finance company that led her to find her passion for tech. She was taking a part-time coding class at the time and realized how certain inefficiencies at her job could be streamlined with a bit of code. From here, Holly took it upon herself to go above and beyond the call of duty to develop a front-end, Advisor Education Platform to house her company’s marketing data. This platform was eventually adopted by head office and then rolled out as a microsite company wide. Not bad for a first-time dev project! Upon completion of this platform, Holly realized that she would no longer find fulfillment in her sales role so decided to leave her finance job to complete her programming certification from The Flatiron School in New York. Fast forward a couple months and she is now part of our team, helping us to design robust code and improve the user experience.
A few fun facts:
- Holly was was supposed to be born on December 25th and was named after a certain decoration staple during the holidays. It turns out she was a stubborn baby (her tenacity began at an early age) and decided to be a late Christmas present for her awaiting parents.
- Her favourite vacation spot is Sproat Lake, where she enjoys wakeboarding and hanging out by the water.
- Not just a coder, Holly also likes to create music and can be found moonlighting as a DJ at local music spots.
- She’s also into making experimental short films and is currently working on a re-creation of the Dollar Shave Club’s satirical video “Our Blades are F***ing Great“.
- Holly is heavily involved in the tech community here in Vancouver, and enjoys attending networking events like Hacker’s Nest and Ladies Learning Code.